HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 A bit of concern.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
accioglee
Going about a regular day
Going about a regular day
avatar

Female Virgo Dog
Age : 22
Posts : 2
Location : Canada
Join date : 2012-07-06

Character sheet
Name: Bree
Age: 17
Affinities : Water

PostSubject: A bit of concern.    Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Alright, so I love this series. It was one of the first series that I got addicted to, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book, however there has been one thing that's been bugging me for a couple years now.

We all know about Nyx, the Dark Daughters and Sons, the rituals, etc. But not once have PC or Kristin cast given any sort of recognition to where they got it all from. Because they didn't make up any of those things, sorry to say. They may have named them differently, yes, and added vampyrs to it, but it doesn't mean they came up with it. In fact, it all stems from the ancient Wiccan religion. Nyx represents the Great Goddess, the Dark Daughters and Sons are Priests and Priestesses. The High Priests and Priestesses, the rituals and the calling of the circles... everything down to the affinities for the elements and the magick. Even our pendant, the Three Moons that represents our Goddess, is used.

It doesn't make me love the series any less, but I just can't shake the feeling of slight disappointment that the religion, my religion, goes uncredited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://accio--glee.tumblr.com | http://accioglee.deviantart.com
BerettaBoys
Discovering you have an affinity for Earth
Discovering you have an affinity for Earth
avatar

Male Pisces Monkey
Age : 25
Posts : 866
Location : Panem
Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm a bit confused as to what specifically is bothering you. If you could please clarify, I'd be happy to help clear things up for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Allyson
Accidentally causing an earthquake with Earth
Accidentally causing an earthquake with Earth
avatar

Female Aries Horse
Age : 27
Posts : 900
Location : in my own wonderland <3
Join date : 2010-04-18

Character sheet
Name: Allyson
Age: mommy age :)
Affinities : Dreams

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:55 pm

accioglee wrote:
Alright, so I love this series. It was one of the first series that I got addicted to, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book, however there has been one thing that's been bugging me for a couple years now.

We all know about Nyx, the Dark Daughters and Sons, the rituals, etc. But not once have PC or Kristin cast given any sort of recognition to where they got it all from. Because they didn't make up any of those things, sorry to say. They may have named them differently, yes, and added vampyrs to it, but it doesn't mean they came up with it. In fact, it all stems from the ancient Wiccan religion. Nyx represents the Great Goddess, the Dark Daughters and Sons are Priests and Priestesses. The High Priests and Priestesses, the rituals and the calling of the circles... everything down to the affinities for the elements and the magick. Even our pendant, the Three Moons that represents our Goddess, is used.

It doesn't make me love the series any less, but I just can't shake the feeling of slight disappointment that the religion, my religion, goes uncredited.

Hey there, I noticed that also. It doesn't make me like the series any less either, i just think about how great the plot is as apposed to what nonfiction properties that it contains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
accioglee
Going about a regular day
Going about a regular day
avatar

Female Virgo Dog
Age : 22
Posts : 2
Location : Canada
Join date : 2012-07-06

Character sheet
Name: Bree
Age: 17
Affinities : Water

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:16 pm

BerettaBoys wrote:
I'm a bit confused as to what specifically is bothering you. If you could please clarify, I'd be happy to help clear things up for you.

It just bothers me that there has been no credit given to the Wiccan community even though she has used almost every point of our religion in their books. I wouldn't have minded if they had even just subtly thrown it in there, but to give no acknowledgement whatsoever is just unfair in my opinion.

Again, it doesn't make me love the series any less, I just wish they would give some credit to us, since we still are faced with people calling us "Satan-worshipers" every day, even though they are people who read these books and think the Goddess and stuff in them is "cool".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://accio--glee.tumblr.com | http://accioglee.deviantart.com
VampyreFreak
Admin
Admin
avatar

Female Libra Horse
Age : 26
Posts : 16563
Location : why do you wanna know???
Join date : 2009-07-14

Character sheet
Name: Karena Drako
Age: 19
Affinities : Writting and Death

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm

They never claimed to have made it all up, but yes, they don't put it in the books where they took idea's from. They may have stated it in an interview or something near the beginning of the series, but I have no idea. They should probably say something about it but they don't have to.




Here in the darkness I know myself....

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://houseofnight.forumotion.net/forum.htm
Allyson
Accidentally causing an earthquake with Earth
Accidentally causing an earthquake with Earth
avatar

Female Aries Horse
Age : 27
Posts : 900
Location : in my own wonderland <3
Join date : 2010-04-18

Character sheet
Name: Allyson
Age: mommy age :)
Affinities : Dreams

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:22 pm

VampyreFreak wrote:
They never claimed to have made it all up, but yes, they don't put it in the books where they took idea's from. They may have stated it in an interview or something near the beginning of the series, but I have no idea. They should probably say something about it but they don't have to.

This is true. From what i have seen and read, they never once said that they made it up. It would have been misleading and just ridiculous for them to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WazzuMan
Discovering you have an affinity for Air
Discovering you have an affinity for Air
avatar

Male Gemini Monkey
Age : 25
Posts : 285
Location : Suburban Hell
Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:57 am

I don't think it's much cause for concern. We're talking about an audience that reads recreationally; they aren't inherently ignorant, so they can probably figure out where it all comes from if they are truly curious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaya Nightingale
Telling your parents you are a fledgling
Telling your parents you are a fledgling
avatar

Female Leo Rooster
Age : 23
Posts : 93
Location : The Underworld
Join date : 2013-03-20

Character sheet
Name:
Age:
Affinities :

PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

WazzuMan wrote:
I don't think it's much cause for concern. We're talking about an audience that reads recreationally; they aren't inherently ignorant, so they can probably figure out where it all comes from if they are truly curious.

true!
anyway from what I've learnt from P.C Cast's blog, she prefers not to lash out / refer too on any religion or even say what she believes in....(imo totally wiccan:) )
so this would explain the rare use of "Christian" and instead saying "people of the faith" and vice versa.
I know some stuff about wiccan beliefs, so I instantly caught on, but as mentioned ^^ they can find out.

personally, I would have acknowledged what is was, but I can see Cast's point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A bit of concern.    

Back to top Go down
 
A bit of concern.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
House of Night Forum :: House of Night :: House of Night Books :: Marked-
Jump to: